Healthy Weight Range Tracker (62 - 50 kg)

Sunday, April 6, 2008

All or Nothing Mentality

I have reflected on my weight gains and losses over the past almost 20 years and have concluded that the reason I keep gaining back weight is my all or nothing mentality - so one of my major goals for this journey is to beat that mentality for good. It is so destructive to us long term, makes sensible weight loss impossible, and leads us to do things in relation to food which are really very warped (not to mention the phsycial affects this must have on our bodies long term!).

I have decided that whatever I do must be sustainable for the rest of my life - this means no extreme dieting, no extreme exercising, and definitely no binge and purge or binge and punish type behaviour (ie 3 hours at the gym to pay for that pizza I just ate!). It also includes things like not skipping meals before weigh ins. This is the only way I can see myself being successful long term.

So this time, I am having treats in moderation, I am making sure I am eating sensible amounts, and I am exercising normally (not obsessively!). I am also challenging my tendency to be extremist all the time - this is probably the hardest thing that I am doing - and will keep doing this as long as it takes to learn the life skills I need - everything in moderation!

No comments: