Healthy Weight Range Tracker (62 - 50 kg)

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chipping Away at It, Running Half Marathons, and Behaviour Modification Strategies

Well I can run a half marathon! Who would have thought? Me, who could hardly make the mail box in Feb 08, can run a half marathon. Any it wasn't a fluke either!!

I did a practice run towards the end of September. Did it in 2 hours 42 minutes (including 2 bathroom stops lol!!). Very slow but wanted to make sure I could do the distance. As I got to about 19km I just started grinning and saying to myself "I can actually do it, I can run a half marathon!". It took about five days for the smile to leave my face. The sense of accomplishment was amazing. Definitely recommended!

I did my first official half marathon last Sunday. Really enjoyed it. Managed to shave quite a bit of time off coming in at 2 hours 25 minutes 58 seconds. Not quite the buzz that I got from doing the distance the first time around but very pleased with myself none the less.

The icing on the cake for me I guess was a beautiful card I got from hubby which reads "I am very proud. I think you have done very well. You have impressed a lot of people. Keep trying. The two hour mark is not that far off for you. I love and support you." I was deeply touched. He is not big on soppy words and sentiments. Almost made me cry.

Now I know that I can do the distance, I am now focussing on getting my speed up. Both previous runs I was terrified of running out of gas before the finish line so really paced myself. My next half marathon is November 1 so hoping to maybe shave some more time off for that.

And still chipping away at the weight. Had a loss this morning of 900g which I am pleased with but have had lots of littler ones for a few weeks before that. It has taken me a whole month to not have a 64 in my weight number. A little bit frustrating but I can definitely see myself getting smaller and more toned. So I keep chipping away at it. Never give up!!

Also thrilled to report that I am noticing myself modifying my behaviours in a really good sustainable way. Like managing an all you can eat buffet in a way that I could be really proud of (one plate of mains - mostly vegies, one plate of dessert - mostly fruit, and two herbal teas to follow - and enjoying the experience and food without feeling deprived). I also came home and made nice pasta and salad the night my boys had burgers and fries and really enjoyed it. I really felt like it was much, much nicer than what they were having. I have also been making good choices almost automatically when we eat out. All things I am really proud of. Strategies for life!!

Anyhow enough from me for today. Thanks everyone for your support. I have had lots of kind words lately about my blog and compliments from people. It all makes me feel really good about myself and what I have achieved - so thanks!

No comments: